Tiede Metz & Downs, P. C. was organized in 1986 by Charles R. Tiede, Donald R. Metz, and Stephen H. Downs. Its roots, however, date back to 1915, when Franklin W. and Howard Plummer, sons of Wabash Circuit Court Judge Alfred H. Plummer, joined together in the practice of law. In the late 1960s, Charles R. Tiede, Robert E. Magley, Donald R. Metz, and Alfred H. Plummer III joined the firm. Stephen H. Downs joined in 1974.
Since 1970, the firm has maintained full-service offices in both Wabash and North Manchester. The North Manchester office is currently staffed by Albert J. Schlitt, who came into the firm in 1999.
Jordan L. Tandy joined the firm in 2010, and M. Josh Petruniw joined in 2011. Charles Tiede retired from the practice of law in 2012 after a distinguished career spanning over 50 years.
The firm acquired, remodeled and moved into the KoWeBa building, a historic structure in downtown Wabash, where it remains today.